Thursday, May 17, 2012

Oliver and S pattern - customized ruffled halter

This is a free pattern from the children's clothing pattern company Oliver & S - it comes in sizes 2 - 8 years but I wanted to make a smaller size , so I reduced the pattern to a 6-12mo size.  I did this by comparing the differences in the smallest two sizes around each pattern edge , for example 0.5 inch around the ruffles, and drafting new pattern pieces based on these differences. This is the  finished dress. 




After I had made this dress I started thinking about design variations for this very versatile pattern. Each of the ruffles could be omitted for a different look, for example. I had some fabric left over from making a dress so I used it to make this variation , in which the drawstring casing at the neck edge was replaced by bias binding and the armhole bias binding was extended as ties. The ruffles were omitted completely in favor of a 3.5cm deep frill at the bottom of the dress.  This made it longer than the original since the hem allowance also contributed to the total length . 







Back, front,bias binding and bottom frill pieces laid out. A very small amount of fabric was required for this project.





Neck bias binding attached, and the finished dress below, with ribbon and antique button trim.






No comments:

Post a Comment